Every day we see problems resulting from auto owners neglecting their tires. To help you save money and stay safe, we’ve crafted this blog post.
Almost four tire-related accidents occur every hour, according to the National Transportation Safety Board. This fact is sobering and should serve as a reminder to all of us to take a few minutes to check tread wear and tire pressure. There are few vehicle maintenance jobs that are easier than tire maintenance, but many of us forget how very important it is to our safety and the safety of our families.
If this fact isn’t enough to motivate you to check your tires regularly, consider the smallness of your tire’s contact patch. For most tires the area that contacts the road is a little larger than the size of your hand. Four hands worth of tire connect you to the road. So it makes sense to keep your tires in tip-top shape.
Today's tires are significantly safer than those produced a decade ago and have come a tremendously long way in the five decades Einspahr Auto Plaza in Brookings, South Dakota has been installing them. But, they still need regular attention. We want to share a few reminders about how to take care of your tires to help you save money and keep your family safe:
• Check tire pressure regularly (at least once a month) and before going on a long trip, including the spare. According to a survey from the Rubber Manufacturers Association, only 9% of vehicles have properly inflated tires, while 18% of autos on the road today have at least one very under inflated tire.
• Inspect tires for uneven wear patterns, cracks, foreign objects, or other signs of trauma. Remove bits of glass and other foreign objects.
• Make sure your tire valves have caps.
• Pay attention to performance changes. Don’t only rely on the appearance of your tires to identify problems. Be aware of other changes in performance, such as noise, vibration or “pulling” while driving.
• Rotate your tires regularly every 5,000 – 8,000 miles.
• Monitor tire thread.
Trouble with your tires? Questions about your tires? Visit Einspahr Auto Plaza, call us at 605-692-6106 or go to http://einspahr.com/schedule-service